Monday, January 3, 2011

Strike one

So I wrote this great post yesterday about how one of my new years resolutions was to be understanding of Dr.D's schedule and his time away from us. Well I have to sadly admit that after only 1 day, I have failed!

Today was the first day back to school for my girls after winter break and my morning was extremely hectic. I began to get incresingly annoyed at Dr. D because while i was running around like a mad women he was just doing his own thing. Then when I finally flipped out, he simply said he was in a hurry and had to get his things done. Now, mind you he organized a few papers ate the breakfast that I prepared for him and got dressed. While I got myself ready, got both girls ready, made breakfast for everyone, prepared the girls lunch, and made sure they all had their school supplies. I was steaming! He just gave me a simple "we have to be more organized".

The morning was just the tip of the iceberg. Today he only had to go to the hospital to round on 5 patients and then he was coming home but was on call. He told me to wait for him to go to the store becasue he would be home by 11:00. At 10:38 I sent him a text asking how it was going and he responded good. As you can guess 11am came and went then 12 came and went too. At 12:20 he finally called to say he was leaving the hospital. I was so upset, therefore failing my new years resolution, because I made sure to let him know how upset I was. I wasnt mad that he took an extra hour and a half, I was mad that he didnt take 1 minute to text me and tell me he would be late. If he would have then I would have just gone out and not sat around waiting for him. I think thats the part I hate the most about being married to a Physician, I feel like I live my life waiting for him.

I am still going to attempt to be more understanding, I guess you can call this strike one.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I just came across your blog :0) Isn't it funny how we're expected to do everything in the morning? We have pets, no kids, but even so, I have to get myself ready, do the dishes he left in the sink when he was snack the night before, feed the cat and dog, walk the dog, pack HIS lunch...otherwise he will just not eat or spend a fortune on take-out...Goodness! You know what his one job in the morning is? Make the bed because he is the last out of it...you know when it gets done? When he gets home.

    Sorry for the rant, I've been holding it in for a while:) my husband is also a big fan of the "I don't have a second to text you back" thing and he is only a medical student!! He knows it drives me insane, so I must admit he has gotten better since he noticed how much easier his life is when he just lets me know what is going on.

    Hope your resolution gets easier with time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the waiting. It's very frustrating. (It's even STILL frustrating for my mom, who has been married to a doctor for nearly 40 years!) I always always plan that my husband will be late. Low expectations - that's totally my (admittedly pathetic) key to limiting (although not eliminating) the frustration!

    Hang in there, though - it's not a resolution that you can immediately succeed at. I think you will work on it over time. And definitely involve your husband! If there are ways he can limit your frustration, I'm sure he'd be willing to try them!

    ReplyDelete